We're dedicated to keeping our customers safe and warm all year round, whatever the weather.
With most of our network buried underground, our pipes are well protected against harsh winter weather. However, we've still made extra preparations to keep our gas network up and running during adverse winter weather.
We know cold and unpredictable winter weather can be particularly challenging for our customers. Our tips and advice will help you stay safe and warm this winter.
How you can keep safe and warm this winter
- Keep an eye on the forecast and watch out for weather warnings from the Met Office.
- If cold weather comes, follow NHS advice to wear layers to keep warm and regularly have hot drinks. Try to check on your neighbours, especially if they could be particularly vulnerable in cold weather.
- Save the free emergency numbers to your phone – call 0800 111 999 in a gas emergency or call 105 in a power cut.
- Find out about the Priority Services Register. This is a free service that helps us identify customers who need priority support, and will make sure you receive extra help if you’re without your gas supply.
- Make sure you get your gas boiler and appliances serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- Fit a carbon monoxide alarm – regularly test it and check its expiry date.
What to do if your boiler stops working in cold weather
If your boiler has stopped working in the cold, check if your boiler’s condensate pipe has frozen. Cold weather can freeze the condensate pipe, which is the external pipe that takes condensation from your boiler to your drain outside. If you think your condensate pipe has frozen, watch this short video to find out how to safely thaw the pipe:
If your boiler still doesn’t fire up after trying to thaw the condensate pipe, contact your gas supplier if you have home or boiler care cover. Alternatively, you can contact a Gas Safe registered engineer for assistance. You can find an engineer near you on the Gas Safe Register website. The National Gas Emergency Service won't be able to help with boiler or appliance issues.