1. What should I do if I smell gas or suspect a leak?
If you smell gas, call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999 or via textphone (minicom) on 0800 371 787.
If you have the SignLive app, you can also use this service to contact the National Gas Emergency Service. SignLive provides a free 24-hour online interpreting service for British Sign Language (BSL) users.
2. What should I do if I'm worried about carbon monoxide in my property?
If you suspect there are high levels of carbon monoxide in your property, follow these steps:
- Open all doors and windows
- Move everyone into the fresh air
- Call the Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
If someone has collapsed or is displaying severe symptoms, seek medical help by calling 999 or 112.
3. I've hit a gas pipe, what do I do?
If you or your builders have hit a gas pipe, call the National Gas Emergency Service 24 hours a day on 0800 111 999.
Always know what's below before you start digging.
4. What happens when I call the National Gas Emergency line?
When you call the National Gas Emergency Service, you'll be put through to an operator who'll log your call. The operator will ask you for details about the gas leak, so be prepared with the following information:
- The address of the gas emergency
- How many people are at the property or within the area
- Where the smell is strongest
- How long the smell has been there
- Whether any neighbours are affected
- Your name and phone number
- Any special circumstances or access information
5. How long will I have to wait for an emergency gas engineer to arrive?
If you've been able to turn off the gas supply using the emergency control valve on your meter, we'll be with you within two hours.
If you're not able to turn off the gas supply at the emergency control valve, our emergency engineer will be with you within one hour.
6. What happens once the problem has been fixed?
You'll be able to return to your property once we've made it safe and fixed the problem.
If your gas appliances have been effected during the problem, you'll need to get a Gas Safe Registered engineer in to carry out any work that's needed.
You can find a suitable engineer here.
7. What happens if I have no gas supply?
If you lose your gas supply, we will aim to get you reconnected as soon as possible however sometimes this is not possible and you will be without gas for a period of time.
We know this is frustrating as it will impact your heating, hot water and ability to cook (if you have a gas stove) so we will provide electric heaters and hot plates to those who need them most while your gas is off.
If your gas supply is off for a prolonged period, local amenities will often provide services such as free showering facilities. We’ll let you know about all these options during the work.
If you lose your supply in the winter, make sure you wear extra layers and drink plenty of hot drinks to keep warm.
8. I can’t manage without gas to my home, is there any help you can give me?
We provide fan heaters and electrical hot plates to elderly or vulnerable customers, or families with young children when an incident has taken place. Please speak to one of our engineers on site, or call our customer service team on 0800 912 1717, to discuss any requirements that you have.
If you have young children, a disability, a long-term illness, or live with someone who is, it will be worth joining the Priority Services Register (PSR) – just in case there is ever an issue with your supply in the future.
Find out more about our Priorities Services Register, using the link below.
9. I wasn't in when your engineer called to turn my gas back on. What should I do?
If you were out when we visited, please call our Customer Service team on 0800 912 1717 and we'll arrange an engineer to revisit your property as soon as possible.