If your work damages a gas pipe, don't leave it, you must report it right away:
- Call the National Gas Emergency Number on 0800 111 999 immediately
- Don't attempt to make any repairs, handle the pipe or alter its position
Any damage to gas pipes (pictured below), including dents, scrapes, gouges or piercing must be reported.
Damaging a gas pipe can result in:
- A major fire or explosion which can cause death or serious injury
- Disruption to gas supplies and claims for compensation
- Claims for costs to repair the damage
- HSE investigations and prosecution which can include heavy fines
- Environmental issues
Here's a picture from a helicopter which shows the devastation left behind following a pipeline being damaged in north Texas. As you can see, damage to high pressure pipelines can be dangerous to people hundreds of metres away.
WATCH this video which shows the potential consequences of damage to a high pressure pipeline.