CO is a highly poisonous gas that is produced by the incomplete burning of fossil fuels (including gas, oil, wood, petrol and coal).
It’s not just appliances in the home that can produce carbon monoxide. Other risk areas include:
All our SGN emergency staff wear personal atmosphere monitors (PAMs) which can provide an early warning of potential danger.
Our effective use of technology helps to keep our customers safe.
Do everything you can to protect yourself from the dangers of CO poisoning.
Get your appliances fitted and checked by a Gas Safe™ registered engineer and fit an audible CO alarm that complies with BS EN 50291. You can buy a carbon monoxide detector from some supermarkets, DIY stores and your energy supplier. Remember, a smoke detector is not a carbon monoxide detector.
The Gas Safe Charity website contains free educational resources for primary school teachers of pupils aged 9 – 11. The site includes a lesson plan, activity sheets, an interactive house, videos and a completion certificate.